OBM users use the Workspaces area to monitor the environment, manage events, and solve problems. OBM provides default pages in the Dashboards and Operations Console workspaces for these purposes. However, administrators may also provide specially designed pages for use by their operators. Alternatively, users may have been given permissions to create their own pages in My Workspace.
The different designs of the pages in Workspaces present information in different ways. The kind of information that you can see within these pages is determined by the user roles that the administrator assigns to you. For example, the operator Dave can see his assigned events, plus other events that he is allowed to see, in a cross-domain view. For example, he is responsible for maintaining the enterprise email server, but he might be able to see events that are assigned to another operator.
The Workspaces area is divided into the following main sections:
- My Workspace. My Workspace enables you and your administrators to view default pages from OBM, and to create new pages containing OBM components and also external components. Each page is displayed as a tab within My Workspace. For details, see the topic My Workspace.
- Dashboards. Dashboards give you an overview of the health of the environment in graphical form. The data updates in real time so that you are always presented with the most recent information. OBM provides the following dashboards by default:
- Monitoring Dashboard. (Formerly known as Event Dashboard.) Monitoring Dashboards provide an at-a-glance overview of the events from the environment you are monitoring. Monitoring Dashboards enable you to quickly assess the health of the environment and to identify areas that require your attention. For details, see the topic Monitoring Dashboard.
- 360°. This page provides a high-level overview of the status of CIs in a selected view. The page displays a hierarchy of CIs in a view, the KPIs assigned to each CI, and their KPI statuses. For details, see the topic 360° View.
- KPI Over Time. The KPI Over Time dashboard enables you to view the status or the value of selected KPIs and CIs over time. The report also lets you choose from a number of layouts to monitor statuses and values at a glance. For details, see the topic KPI Over Time Dashboard.
- ROI Dashboard. (Return on Investment.) The ROI Dashboard displays the proportion of events received by OBM that have been automatically handled against those that required intervention by operators. The higher the proportion of automatically handled events, the greater the contribution OBM is making to the management of your infrastructure. If the cost of manually handling a typical event is known, this value can be entered into OBM, based on which, the total cost saving achieved through OBM can be displayed. These statistics can be displayed for any specified time period within which OBM has been monitoring your IT environment. For details, see the topic Return On Investment Dashboard.
- Operations Console. The Operations Console workspace is where operators perform their daily tasks. OBM provides three predefined so-called perspectives as examples for ideal operations workspaces:
- Event Perspective. The Event Perspective page displays event-related information in separate panes. For details, see the topic Event Perspective.
- Health Perspective. The Health Perspective page displays topological information and health indicators related to the selected event. This display enables you to simultaneously see events from different perspectives and helps you to better understand complex relationships and dependencies. For details, see the topic Health Perspective.
- Performance Perspective. The Performance Perspective page enables you to create and customize performance dashboards. For details, see the topic Performance Perspective.