Searching the Help
To search for information in the Help, type a word or phrase in the Search box. When you enter a group of words, OR is inferred. You can use Boolean operators to refine your search.
Results returned are case insensitive. However, results ranking takes case into account and assigns higher scores to case matches. Therefore, a search for "cats" followed by a search for "Cats" would return the same number of Help topics, but the order in which the topics are listed would be different.
|A single word||
||Topics that contain the word "cat". You will also find its grammatical variations, such as "cats".|
You can specify that the search results contain a specific phrase.
Topics that contain the literal phrase "cat food" and all its grammatical variations.
Without the quotation marks, the query is equivalent to specifying an OR operator, which finds topics with one of the individual words instead of the phrase.
Two or more words in the same topic
|Either word in a topic||
|Topics that do not contain a specific word or phrase||
|Topics that contain one string and do not contain another||
|A combination of search types||
- Form creation
- Forms Designer
- Dynamic View Dependencies
- Format Control
- Format Control processes
- Accessing Format Control
- Using expressions in Format Control
- Sequential numbering for Format Control
- Array maintenance
- Determine parameters without using the RAD editor
- Invoke auditing from Format Control
- Special processing considerations: Incident Management
- Special processing considerations: Change Management
- Format Control and eventout records
- Format Control error messages
- Common routines called from Format Control
Format Control allows the System Administrator to apply the following special processes to Service Manager files through individual forms:
- Validate fields.
- Establish user privileges.
- Display alternate record list forms.
- Do Calculations and Validations based on other fields in this file or other files.
- Call RAD routines.
- Define additional options and menu items.
- Automatically update or insert data in other parts of the database.
Format Control records can attach to any form or file within Service Manager and do not require special programming skills to implement. You define routines in Format Control that are user interactive or transparent and perform when a record opens or when a user adds, updates, or deletes a record from the database. Format Control is easy to apply and change.
While Format Control is a convenient utility, it should not be overused. Excessive reliance on Format Control to modify your system results in reduced system performance. If you intend to heavily customize your system, we recommend you find other, more efficient ways to implement your changes such as Data Policy or Data Validation.